House built 1678, replacing an earlier one. There is a suggestion that there was a moat present in 1712 but could this have been around Manor Farm? (1)
An old moated site, the moat alleged by Woolley to have been cut out of solid rock and subsequently filled in to form gardens and terraces, was replaced in the late 16th century or early 17th century on an adjoining site. It was quite modest but was replaced again in 1678 by a west facing seven-bay building with pediment and cross windows. This seat was rather grudgingly described by Woolley as an 'indifferent old seat here remaining, moated about' which suggests that the surviving late 17th century range was an addition on a new site. The garden front of 11 bays is dated 1729. The house was set in a 50 acre park, once part of an estate of 1340 acres. (2)
Vernacular north west wing dated to 1678 as seen from rainwater head. (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 21 NE PARISH OF CAULDWELL MAIN STREET 3/9 (West Side) 2.9.52 Cauldwell Hall GV II*
Small country house, now a school. Early C18 with late C18 and C19 alterations, also with late C19 and C20 additions. Red brick on stone plinth with gauged brick and stone dressings, and hipped slate roofs with panelled brick side wall and ridge stacks. Part two storeys plus attics and part two storeys. U-plan with eleven bay garden elevation to south. This southern range has two storeys plus attics and an advanced five bay central part with lower three bay flanking wings. Central part and wings have moulded stone plinths, rusticated stone corner pilasters up to top of first floor level and large moulded stone cornices with a stone course over, above the first floor windows. Attics have parapets with moulded stone copings, which are ramped up to the central bays on either wing, they also have plain stone corner pilasters topped by gadrooned urns. Central moulded stone doorcase is now filled by a plain sash and to either side there are pairs of plain sashes. Beyond to either side the wings each have a central late C19 canted bay window with moulded stone cornice below brick parapets and plain sashes to each side, those to front in re-set C18 moulded shouldered stone surrounds with double keystones. Between the canted bay and the advanced central bays to east there is an inserted panelled door below a plain overlight. Above there are eleven plain sashes, those to central five bays taller than those to the wings. Central window is set in a moulded shouldered stone surround with plain ashlar above and below, and the central windows to the wings have similar surrounds but also with the top of the lintels ramping up to a double keystone. All windows without stone surrounds have flat gauged brick arches with double stone keyblocks. Above in the attic there are eleven small glazing bar sashes, all below flat brick arches except the central one which is in a moulded stone surround. In the re-entrant angles there are C19 hopper heads at top of first floor level dated 1727, and above in the attic there are the original fluted C18 lead hopper heads. Later additions to east and west sides of south range are of no special interest. Rear elevation has central C18 style early C20 porch and two glazing bar sashes below flat gauged brick arches with double stone keyblocks to east, with two similar windows above. Over the porch is a tall glazing bar sash and to west there are two similar sashes to those to east, but set at mezzanine level, with blind recesses above and below. Above, the attic level has five small glazing bar sashes below flat brick arches. Late C19 wing to east has four glazing bar sashes to each floor, those to ground floor below segmental gauged brick arches with stone keyblocks, those to first floor below plain flat brick arches and those in attic in pedimented roof dormers. West range is early C18 and has a plain stone plinth, rusticated quoins to corners, advanced pedimented central bay and moulded stone cornice. It is two storied and has seven bays. Central bay has moulded stone doorcase with pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice and console keystone. To either side there are three timber cross windows below flat gauged brick arches with stone keyblocks. Six similar 2-light windows above and a central 2-light window in moulded stone surround on console brackets with raised keystone. Above, the pediment has a moulded stone cornice and a central circular stone clockface. Interior has original dogleg staircase with ramped and wreathed handrail, three knopped balusters to each tread, one plain, one fluted and one twisted, scrolled cheekpieces and dado panelling to opposite wall. Most of the rooms to south front have raised and fielded panelling, with dado rails and timber cornices, and the hall has its original grey marble bolection moulded fireplace. There are two simple C18 fireplaces to first floor rooms and some re-used C17 panelling.
Listing NGR: SK2551417173.'