Monument record MDR6969 - Darklands Colliery (site of), Darklands Road, Swadlincote
Type and Period (1)
- COLLIERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
'Darklands Colliery (Disused)' marked on the OS map of 1888. (1) A named air shaft marks the site of the former colliery on the OS map of 1902 (2) and by 1920 nothing of colliery is depicted - the site is shown with buildings (not named) along the street frontage. (3) By 1976 the site is occupied by 'Works'. (4) Good quality aerial photographs show an earthwork shaft of post-medieval date seen as one small (1-4m) round negative feature centred at-SK 29611975. The site is now a South Derbyshire Council depot. (5 ) An 'Old Pit' is marked at this site in 1856. (6)
- <1> SDR17371 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1888. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW, surveyed 1881-1882, published 1888. 1:10560.
- <2> SDR17372 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1902. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW/Staffordshire XLVIIA NW, second edition 1902, revised 1899-1900. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR17373 Map: OS. 1920. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LX NW/Staffs XLVIIA NW. Edition of 1925, revised 1920. 1:10560.
- <4> SDR11944 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1976. 1:10000.
- <5> SDR17385 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 921521. 921521.
- <6> SDR20538 Map: 1856. The Township of Swadlincote in the parish of Church Gresley. 1inch : 2 chains.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2961 1974 (81m by 66m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 11 2019 11:37AM