Monument record MDR6986 - Ault's Pottery (site of), Midland Rd, Swadlincote
Type and Period (1)
- POTTERY MANUFACTURING SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The pottery is not depicted on the OS map of 1888 at which time the site was part of Swadlincote Colliery (SMR 26810). (1) 'Pottery' is marked on maps of 1902, 1920 and 1938. (2-4). Works depicted (not named) on later maps. (5-6) The area is part of Midland Rd Industrial Estate. Buildings on the site are recent except for offices fronting on Midland Road. (7) William Ault built a pottery in Swadlincote in c.1886. He started off with designs for plant pots, bulb pots and vases and won his first medal in 1888. The words AULT FAIENCE became his trademark. He expanded his designs and exhibited widely, including at the World Fair in Chicago in 1896, at which Ault Faience won one of the highest awards. New novelties were introduced every year. In 1922 the firm merged with the Ashby Potters' Guild, although the merger failed. A later re-organisation saw the manufacture of stoneware along with local wares, whilst in another part of the works glazing and decoration of bone china was carried out. In 1974 the firm was broken up and within two years the buildings were razed to the ground. (8) Ault's Pottery was in Swadlincote, on Midland Road, at SK299199. The kilns and factory buildings are gone, but as at Bretby Art Pottery the frontage building remains. It has three gables each bearing terracotta relief decoration including a vase (the Ault trademark) and the word AULT. (9)
- <1> SDR17371 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1888. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW, surveyed 1881-1882, published 1888. 1:10560.
- <2> SDR17372 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1902. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW/Staffordshire XLVIIA NW, second edition 1902, revised 1899-1900. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR17373 Map: OS. 1920. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LX NW/Staffs XLVIIA NW. Edition of 1925, revised 1920. 1:10560.
- <4> SDR17374 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1938. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW/Staffordshire XLVIIA NW, provisional edition, revised 1920. 1:10560.
- <5> SDR11944 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1976. 1:10000.
- <6> SDR11930 Map: OS. 1982. OS 1:10 000 1982. 1:10 000.
- <7> SDR17406 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey:92140. 92140.
- <8> SDR19558 Article in serial: Brown, R B. 1987. 'Three South Derbyshire Art potters', Journal of the Northern Ceramics Society. Vol. 6, pp 193-217, illust..
- <9> SDR19561 Personal Observation: Information from Philip Heath, South Derbyshire District Council. 4/10/04.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2990 1997 (104m by 137m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2018 2:17PM