Monument record MDR6994 - Brewery/Granary/Factory, Castle Gresley
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
(SK 28211784) Brewery named on OS map of 1888, adjacent to and with sidings from the Leicester and Burton branch railway. (1) Marked as 'Brewery (disused)' on the 1902 map (2). The largest building along the southern side of the site had been demolished by 1925, at which time one of the surviving buildings was marked as 'Granary' (3) and as 'Factory' in 1976 (4, 5). SK283178. Tape and webbing factory. Two storey, 19th century factory building in brick and slate, partly rendered, adjoined by single storey sheds. The factory is owned by the Worthington Group of Leek and is used to manufacture fabric for shoes. (6)
- <1> SDR17371 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1888. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW, surveyed 1881-1882, published 1888. 1:10560.
- <2> SDR17372 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1902. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW/Staffordshire XLVIIA NW, second edition 1902, revised 1899-1900. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR17408 Map: OS. 1925. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LX SW/Leics XV SW.. 1:10560.
- <4> SDR11944 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1976. 1:10000.
- <5> SDR17411 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 921544. 921544. p252-3.
- <6> SDR19596 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2002. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VI: South Derbyshire. p 3.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2818 1785 (201m by 118m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLE GRESLEY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2015 10:56AM