Building record MDR700 - Former toll house, Woodcock Road, Shire Hill, Charlesworth
Type and Period (1)
- TOLL HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- None recorded
SK 05559432 A two-storey tollhouse at Shirehill on the A57. The blank central face contains a space for a tollboard. The house has been extended on the western side and the rear. (1) A tollhouse stands on Shire Hill on the A57 road outside Glossop. It is constructed of stone and is two-storeyed with an area on a projecting bay to house a tolll board. 19th century. (2) Photograph collection (3) Gritstone with stone slate roof. On the north side of former Sheffield-Glossop turnpike of 1818. (5)
- <1> SDR3837 Bibliographic reference: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). 1975. Panel on Industrial Monuments.
- <2> SDR14078 Index: NDAT. 0982. 0982.
- <3> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 507.61-62.
- <4> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Tollhouse, Glossop.
- <5> SDR22140 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 28.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0554 9431 (14m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2014 12:00PM