Monument record MDR7003 - Canal Works (site of), Overseal
Type and Period (1)
- CLAY DRAINAGE PIPE WORKS (Victorian - 1875 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Canal Works (sanitary pipe) appears here on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of circa 1900, but is not on the 1st edition 25" OS map of circa 1880. It is sited at the terminal of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal (linear 80) and also adjacent to and with sidings to the Leicester and Burton branch railway. A tramway connects the works with the clay pits, which are shown as earthworks to the south. (1-3) Works (not named), with active workings to the south and west, appear on the 1:10000 OS map of 1976. (4) The works have now been demolished and the land is derelict (1995). (5)
- <1> SDR17371 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1888. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW, surveyed 1881-1882, published 1888. 1:10560.
- <2> SDR17372 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1902. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW/Staffordshire XLVIIA NW, second edition 1902, revised 1899-1900. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR17374 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1938. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet: Derbyshire LX NW/Staffordshire XLVIIA NW, provisional edition, revised 1920. 1:10560.
- <4> SDR11944 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1976. 1:10000.
- <5> SDR17415 Index: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1995. New National Forest Survey: 921549. 921549. pp 262-3.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2988 1618 (456m by 610m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OVERSEAL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 11:48AM