Monument record MDR7017 - Kniveton Shrunken Village, east of the Old Hall, Kniveton
Type and Period (3)
- SHRUNKEN VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
This field constitutes part of the shrunken medieval village. It lies in the south-east corner of the village on a steep slope south-east/north-west in orientation. At least one building platform was located in the north-west corner of the field, with a hollow way leading up to it. In the south-west corner of the field there appeared to be more evidence of the deserted village, but here the undergrowth was very thick and the definition of these features was unclear. The field is defined by a mixed hedge in the east and the south, a barbed wire and wire mesh fence in the north and a drystone wall in the west. (1)
- <1> SDR17416 Unpublished document: Connelly, P (University of Liverpool). 1997. Proposed Conservation Area for Kniveton: Field Survey.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2080 5002 (119m by 117m)|
|Civil Parish||KNIVETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 18 2009 11:54AM