Monument record MDR7051 - Willington: Late Neolithic 'Settlement 1'
Type and Period (2)
- SETTLEMENT (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- HOUSE (Trapezoidal plans for c. 4 houses, Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- None recorded
Complex of cropmarks showing linear features and enclosures. (1,2,3, 5,6) Recue excavations in advance of quarrying by TVARC between 1970-72 revealed through monitoring of stripped areas centred on SK 28812775 numbers of post holes and other features in the sand surface. Medieval plough damage and rabbit disturbance was identified as having affected survival of features. Seven distinct groups of post holes were recognised. Three of these formed trapezoidal patterns while a fourth may have formed part of another. These are considered to be possible houses. Other possible structures were also identified. Some were directly associated with Late Neolithic pottery including Grooved Ware, Beaker pottery and flint flakes, although one was also associated with earlier Neolithic pottery forms. (4) Additional information; cropmarks identified. (9)
- <1> SDR17455 Index: NDAT. NDAT 2011, 2012, 2013.
- <2> SDR17456 Index: NDAT. NDAT 2012. 2012.
- <3> SDR17457 Index: NDAT. NDAT 2013. 2013.
- <4> SDR7624 Article in serial: Wheeler, H (TVARC). 1979. 'Excavation at Willington, Derbyshire, 1970-72', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 99, pp 58-220.
- <5> SDR17459 Aerial Photograph: J. K. St. Joseph. Oversize BCK87,88.
- <6> SDR17464 Aerial Photograph: J. Pickering. 1-6, 8-18,20-33,42-56, 58-60; 3. 2827; 2828.
- <7> SDR952 Article in serial: Wheeler, H.. 1972. Antiquity 1972. 46.
- <8> SDR17465 Bibliographic reference: Wheeler, H. 1970. Report of the Trent Valley Archaeological Research Committee, 1970. 1-11.
- <9> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
No mapped location recorded.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||WILLINGTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 2 2014 12:36PM