Roman Road between Shelf and Coldharbour Moors. (1)
Possibly a prehistoric trackway improved in Roman times. (3-4)
It is part of a major valley through-route first recorded in 1627 as "Docto Talbotes Gate" and still known today as Doctor's gate. It was the Hope to Glossop packhorse route which was replaced by the turnpike in 1821. It is also reputed to be a Roman road joining the forts at Brough and Glossop. No evidence for its Roman antiquity has been discovered. Excavations along its route south of Crookstone have found metalling. This has been taken as automatic proof for a Roman date, even though it is now known that packhorse routes were often metalled over boggy ground. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Smithard, W. 1911. 'Notes on the Roman roads called Batham Gate and Doctor Gate', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 33, pp 95-100.
Article in serial: Cockerton, R W. 1933. 'The Doctors Gate', The Derbyshire Countryside. Volume 3, pp 19-20, 39-40.
Bibliographic reference: Dodd, A & Dodd, E. 2000. Peakland Roads & Trackways, 3rd edition. pp 36-39.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 076 940 (2921m by 1337m) (Centred on)
CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 13 2015 8:51AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.