Monument record MDR708 - Possible grange (unknown location), Charlesworth or Longdendale
Type and Period (1)
- GRANGE (Medieval to Unknown - 1308 AD)
- None recorded
The Abbott of Basingwerk built a "carpented house" (possibly a Grange) in the woods in Longdendale within the limits of Peak Forest. Location unknown. (1) In 1308 Robert de Charlesworth gave 80 acres of arable land to the Abbot of Basingwerk in Charlesworth, plus smaller areas in Simmondley and Chunal. The Abbot established a grange here. (5)
- <1> SDR14230 Index: NDAT. 3049. 3049.
- <2> SDR14231 Index: NDAT. 3050. 3050.
- <3> SDR8143 Bibliographic reference: 67-98.
- <4> SDR7875 Article in serial: Kirke, H. 1924. 'Monastic settlements in the Peak Forest', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 46, pp 222-233.
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p151.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0 9 (10000m by 10000m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 18 2015 3:34PM