Monument record MDR7091 - Willington: Ring Ditch (Barrow 2), North of Egginton Brook
Type and Period (1)
- RING DITCH (Late Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 3000 BC to 42 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
Ring ditch identified from aerial photographs and excavated partially by TVARC in 1972. It revealed at least 3 phases of construction, with subsequent (?) Iron Age - Roman activity on-site. No direct dating of the ring ditches was found. there was no surviving evidence for a central mound. (1-4) Additional information; cropmarks identified. (5)
- <1> SDR7624 Article in serial: Wheeler, H (TVARC). 1979. 'Excavation at Willington, Derbyshire, 1970-72', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 99, pp 58-220.
- <2> SDR17459 Aerial Photograph: J. K. St. Joseph. Oversize BCK87,88.
- <3> SDR17464 Aerial Photograph: J. Pickering. 1-6, 8-18,20-33,42-56, 58-60; 3. 2827; 2828.
- <4> SDR952 Article in serial: Wheeler, H.. 1972. Antiquity 1972. 46.
- <5> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
|Grid reference||SK 2871 2773 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WILLINGTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2015 12:21PM