Monument record MDR7152 - Brick Kiln Pits, Catton
Type and Period (2)
- BRICK KILN ? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLAY PIT ? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
An area named 'Brickhill Pits' is depicted on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 as partly wooded and partly marsh or wet ground. (1) On the 2nd ed. OS map it is named 'Brick-kiln Pits'. (1, 2) The site survives as a water-filled hollow in a patch of woodland. No structural remains were seen. (3)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR17604 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 921589. 921589. p443-4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 213 144 (98m by 86m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CATTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 12 2012 2:59PM