Skip to main content

Monument record MDR7168 - Glover's Mill (site of), Hartshorne

Type and Period (3)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

(SK 312 218) 'Flour Mill' named on the 1836 OS map. (1) (SK 3120 2183) 'Glover's Mill (Flour)' shown on the 1887 OS map at the head of a mill pond. (2) The mill is marked 'disused' on the map of 1924 (3) and by 1970 neither mill nor mill pond are depicted, with the area shown as wooded. (4) The mill survives as a ruin. It was built in brick on a stone base. The wall alongside the wheel pit survives to above the original height of the wheel (as indicated by marks scoured on the wall). The wheel was fed via a short race from a pond, now dry, immediately to the south. (5) This mill is marked on Burdett's map [1767] as 'Mill Green', by a symbol on Greenwood's map [1824/5] and by name on the first Ordnance map [1836]. It was situated just off the Hartshorne to Repton road, close to a tight bend in the road. The mill building to the first floor was made of stone, with the upper storeys built in brick. The overshot wheel was about 19ft in diameter and 7ft wide, based on the size of the surviving wheel pit. The shaft passed into the building through a well-finished circular hole in the stone wall, which survives and carries the date 1815. Various names had been cut into the stonework, recorded as 'William West 1736', 'W Cook was miller 1790', 'Joseph Jackson was miller 1800', 'John Glover - 1808'. The directories list many millers from 1835 to 1925, starting with William Glover in 1835 and ending with F Hudson in 1925. The nearby mill pool and leat are largely overgrown and the building is a ruin, with no visible machinery, but the wheel pit is still clearly visible. The mill house survives close by. (6, 7)

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1836. One Inch First Edition map, sheet 71 first issued 1836, later revisions (David and Charles reprint sheet 35). 1inch : 1mile.
  • <2> Map: OS. 1887. Sheet Derbys LVII SE 1887. 1:1560.
  • <3> Map: OS. 1924. Sheet Derbys LVII SE 1924. 1:10560.
  • <4> Map: OS. 1970. OS 1:10560.
  • <5> Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 922914. 922914. p1083-4.
  • <6> Article in serial: Gifford, A. 1993. 'Watermills on the Repton Brook', Wind & Water Mills. Number 12, pp 2-9. pp 4-7, Plate 3.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B28, p 78.



Grid reference Centred SK 3123 2180 (95m by 63m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 20 2017 2:51PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.