Monument record MDR7175 - Fish ponds, Midway Road, Swadlincote
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The ponds are depicted, but not named, on the 1st edition 1" OS map of 1836. (1) They are labelled as fish ponds on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880 and later historic OS maps. (2-4) It is possible that one or both of these ponds were originally mill ponds since Granville Mill (SMR 26856) is sited immediately downstream from the westernmost of the two. However Granville Mill is not portrayed on the OS map of 1836, suggesting that if they were mill ponds they would have powered an earlier mill than Granville Mill. (5)
- <1> SDR17379 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1836. One Inch First Edition map, sheet 71 first issued 1836, later revisions (David and Charles reprint sheet 35). 1inch : 1mile.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR17647 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 922923. 922923. pp 1101-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3049 2022 (289m by 125m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 20 2017 2:52PM