Monument record MDR7176 - Limehouse Dams, Hartshorne
Type and Period (1)
- FISHPOND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Two adjacent ponds are depicted, although not named, on the 1st ed. 1" Ordnance Survey map of 1836. (1) The 1st ed. 6" Ordnance Survey map of 1887 shows the ponds as "Limehouse Dams (Fish Ponds), as do two later editions, although the maps indicate some silting was taking place. (2-4) By 1970 only the northern part of the northernmost pond is shown on the map as waterfilled; the remainder and the site of the other pond are shown as marsh. (5) Modern maps show both ponds still in use. (6)
- <1> SDR17379 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1836. One Inch First Edition map, sheet 71 first issued 1836, later revisions (David and Charles reprint sheet 35). 1inch : 1mile.
- <2> SDR17386 Map: OS. 1887. OS County series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Surveyed 1879-81, published 1887. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR17643 Map: OS. 1902. OS County Series: 1:10560 Sheet Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Second edition 1902. 1:10560.
- <4> SDR17639 Map: OS. 1938. OS County Series: 1:10560. Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Provisional edition, revision of 1920-1, with additions in 1938. 1:10560.
- <5> SDR17626 Map: OS. 1970. OS 1:10560.
- <6> SDR17648 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 922924. 922924. p1104-5.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3319 2081 (268m by 491m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTSHORNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 2 2014 4:00PM