Building record MDR720 - St Giles' Church, Marston Montgomery
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1100 AD to 1900 AD)
- SCRATCH DIAL (Tudor to Georgian - 1540 AD to 1800 AD)
The manor of Marston is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey and seems for a long period to have been included in the manor of Cubley. However, the church mentioned in the Survey as being in Cubley manor may in reality have been situated at Marston. Soon after the Conquest, when this property was in the hands of the Montgomeries, they made Cubley their principal seat and erected a church there which became the more important of the two, hence Marston was regarded as a chapelry of Cubley, though of the older foundation. The church, which is dedicated to St Giles, consists of nave, chancel and north aisle, and is now (1877) in process of restoration. (1) St. Giles' Church, Marston Montgomery has 12th century fabric refashioned in the 13th century and later. The north aisle was rebuilt in 1877 but the arcade is probably late 12th century. (2) In normal use. (3) No change to the report of 25.7.66. (4) Grade II* listed parish church. 12th century with 13th and 18th century alterations, restored and extended in 1875-6 by H St Aubyn. Constructed of coursed squared and rubble sandstone with a slate chancel roof and a plain tile nave roof, with stone coped eastern gables, topped by ridge crosses, and with a bellcote over the west end of the nave. (5) Blocked and built up priest's doorway can be seen in external church wall. (7)
- <1> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 101-103.
- <2> SDR8396 Bibliographic reference: M.H.L.G. 1884/11/A, Aug.1961, 33.
- <3> SDR6391 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR6523 Personal Observation: F2 AJT 03-AUG-76.
- <5> SDR5227 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of West Derbyshire, July 1985, 34..
- <6> SDR15148 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2494. 2494.
- <7> SDR23384 Photograph: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Built-up priest's doorway in Marston Montgomery.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1349 3788 (23m by 13m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MARSTON MONTGOMERY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2017 11:44AM