Monument record MDR7220 - Leather Mill (site of), Bugley, Hartshorne
Type and Period (3)
- LEATHER WORKING SITE (Tudor to Georgian - 1540 AD to 1825 AD?)
- WATERMILL (Tudor to Georgian - 1540 AD to 1825 AD?)
- FULLING MILL (Tudor to Georgian - 1540 AD to 1825 AD?)
SK 310 222: Leather Mill at Bugley. (1) Bugley Hole Leather Mill lay immediately below the unusually named Hoofies Farm, although all traces of the mill building and associated water works have long since disappeared. The site is marked on Burdett's map of 1791 but the mill is not named. It produced 'oiled and Shammey Leather' and, since there were no tan pits close at hand, possibly drew its raw material from the tannery in nearby Repton. Lysons' 'Magna Britannia' refers to its production of chamois leather, but the 1821 OS map marks a fulling mill on the site. No reference to the mill is included in an 1828 directory, so it may have ceased operation by that date. (3)
- <1> SDR17695 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 932382. 932382. p1185.
- <2> SDR17616 Bibliographic reference: Spavold, J (ed.). 1984. At the Sign of the Bulls Head, a History of Hartshorne and its Enclosure. p123, 128.
- <3> SDR20140 Article in serial: Gifford, A. 1993. 'Watermills on the Repton Brook', Wind & Water Mills. Number 12, pp 2-9. p 7.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 310 222 (117m by 227m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTSHORNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2011 2:36PM