Monument record MDR7231 - Quarry (site of), Quarry Wood, Melbourne Parks, Melbourne

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval to Georgian - 1066 AD to 1790 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Late medieval and post-medieval quarry, worked in the 15th century and also in the 18th century. It became disused and was subsequently planted in 1790. (1) The tenant of the quarry in the 18th century is listed as Window Chambers. The quary is noted to be a "Stone Quarry from Widow Dolman". (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2443. 2443.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Joyce, B. 1977. Melbourne at the end of the 18th century.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 394 240 (220m by 202m) (Centre)
Civil Parish MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

May 6 2015 8:44AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.