When the foundations of Melbourne Park Farm were laid around 1835, a 'large male skeleton' was found. (1)
Park Farm is believed to stand on or near the site of a hunting lodge surrounded by the former royal park (see SMR 23216). The farmhouse and buildings were formerly called Lodge Farm; the lodge is mentioned in the Duchy of Lancaster Minister's Accounts of 1392-3 and 1429-30. Near it are grounds designated in an old map as 'Queen's Garden' and 'Queen's Walk'. (2)
The field names of 'Lodge Hill' and 'Lodge Close' at Park Farm point to this being the original park lodge. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Briggs, J J. 1852. History of Melbourne, 2nd edition. p 62.
Article in serial: Fane, W. 1889. 'Melbourne Castle and Park', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 11, pp 132-141. p 134.
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. p 118.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3966 2413 (126m by 106m) (Centre)
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 4 2017 2:10PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.