Monument record MDR7248 - Pistern Hill Colliery, Smisby
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
SK 354 202 'Pistern Hill Colliery' is marked on the 1st ed. OS map of 1836 as small open circles (1) which correspond to the positions of three shafts marked as 'Old Coal Pit' on the OS map of 1887. (2) By 1901 the two northernmost sites are marked as 'Old Trial Shafts', while the southern site is shown as an un-named earthwork only. (3) 'Old Trial Shaft' marked three times on the 1924 edition of the OS map. (4)
'Old Trial Shaft' applied to the northernmost site in 1970; the southern two sites are not depicted - the area is shown as enclosed fields. (5)
The two northern shafts are still to be seen as fenced off mounds with a central hollow. Map evidence suggests that a building shown near the central shaft on the 1887 map still survives. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1836. One Inch First Edition map, sheet 71 first issued 1836, later revisions (David and Charles reprint sheet 35). 1inch : 1mile.
Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 922990. p1245-6.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3534 2013 (160m by 341m) (Centre)
SMISBY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2011 10:16AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.