Monument record MDR7253 - Calke Mill (site of), Melbourne
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
(SK 376 230) 'Calke Mill' named on the 1st ed. OS map of 1836. (1) (SK 3759 2300) 'Calke Mill (Flour)' shown on late 19th century OS maps, with mill pond to south at SK 3753 2289 fed from the south by a mill lade/race. (2-4) By 1970 the whole site lay beneath the Staunton Harold reservoir. (5) Calke Mill was located at the northern end of Calke Park on the Carr Brook, a tributary on the southern side of the River Trent. The corn mill at Calke fell within the parish of Melbourne and was certainly in operation in 1640 when a mill on the site was burnt down on the instigation of Henry Harpur, who was objecting to Sir John Coke's enclosures. The mill was rebuilt in stone with a tiled roof and had two storeys, forming part of a complex of farm buildings. Nothing is known about the waterwheel or other equipment in the mill, apart from the fact that it had three pairs of millstones. It is shown on the map by Burdett  and is also marked on the 1836 Ordnance map. In 1876 it was being operated by Mr J Bailey and in 1895 by Arthur Shaw. Arthur Turner is named as the miller in 1912 but the 1925 Kelly's Directory does not list anyone for this mill and it must have ceased operation in the early 1920s. The mill and all associated buildings were flooded when Staunton Harold Reservoir was built in about 1963 and all traces of the water course were lost. (7)
- <1> SDR17379 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1836. One Inch First Edition map, sheet 71 first issued 1836, later revisions (David and Charles reprint sheet 35). 1inch : 1mile.
- <2> SDR17634 Map: OS. 1887. Sheet Derbys LVIII SW/Leics IX SW. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR17635 Map: OS. 1901. Sheet Derbys LVIII SW/Leics IX SW 1901. 1:10560.
- <4> SDR17636 Map: OS. 1924. Sheet Derbys LVIII SW/Leics IX SW. 1924. 1:10560.
- <5> SDR17626 Map: OS. 1970. OS 1:10560.
- <6> SDR17744 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 92300. p1266.
- <7> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B39, p 85.
|Grid reference||SK 3759 2300 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2016 11:51AM