Monument record MDR7255 - Windmill (site of), Ticknall Road, Melbourne
Type and Period (1)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A windmill symbol is depicted on the 1st ed. OS map of 1836 at approx. SK 370 245. (1) It is not shown on the edition of 1887 - the area is shown as enclosed fields. (2, 3) No structural remains, but a localised area of brick and stone rubble can be seen in the ploughed field at SK 3700 2445. (4) The date when the post mill on Ticknall road, Melbourne, was built is unclear but an advertisement in the Derby Mercury of 20th and 27th June 1782 must have referred to this windmill, since the other windmill on Melbourne Common was not built until 1797. It read: 'A windmill, in the Parish of Melbourne, in good repair, with dressing mill, two pairs of stones etc. Enquire Mr Thomas Erpe of Melbourne'. A further advert in 1788 again placed the windmill up for sale: 'For Sale - Windmill at Derby Hills, near Melbourne, with a new pair of French stones and grey stones, and a new flour machine. Enquire of Joseph Bailey at Melbourne'. The mill appears in a number of adverts up to 1853 when the final one appeared clearly offering a post mill for sale, with two pairs of stones. No more was heard of this mill and it did not appear on the 1882 Ordnance Survey map. Some years ago a circular mound was visible but no signs of the mill site can be found. The position would clearly suit the building and operation of a windmill. (5)
- <1> SDR17379 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1836. One Inch First Edition map, sheet 71 first issued 1836, later revisions (David and Charles reprint sheet 35). 1inch : 1mile.
- <2> SDR17634 Map: OS. 1887. Sheet Derbys LVIII SW/Leics IX SW. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR17626 Map: OS. 1970. OS 1:10560.
- <4> SDR17747 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 923003. p1272.
- <5> SDR19226 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 2003. Derbyshire Windmills Past and Present. p 68.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3697 2448 (89m by 88m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2011 10:23AM