Scheduled Monument record MDR7300 - Swarkestone Lows Barrow 2, Lowes Lane, Swarkestone
Type and Period (3)
- BELL BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- CREMATION (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 1001 BC)
Barrow 2 was excavated in 1955 and found to be an earthen bell barrow containing an unaccompanied primary Middle Bronze Age (MBA) cremation. Some 250 pieces of worked flint were found, of which 98 were from the ploughed surface layers and the remainder from the mound make-up, the turves and the old ground surface and soil. Pagan Anglo-Saxon inhumation graves were discovered, two of which were excavated. The burials had completely disintegrated but finds, including a bronze cruciform brooch, two iron ring brooches, buckles, an iron knife, beads, part of a shield umbo and shield grip were discovered. Several pieces of Anglo-Saxon cinerary urns and numerous fragments of cremation were also found. Other finds included waste flakes, scrapers, a leaf-shaped arrowhead suggestive of MBA date, and sherds of Bronze Age, Iron Age and Roman pottery. The finds are in Derby Museum. (2) Barrow 2 of the Swarkestone Lowes group. Cropmark and earthwork barrow of Bronze Age date seen as a subcircular enclosure, diameter 30m, defined by 1 ditch. Centred at SK 3663 2946. (8)
- --- SDR24627 Unpublished document: Garton, D. 1985. The flintwork from fieldwalking in 1983 and a ressessment of the flint from barrow 2.
- <1> SDR17805 Index: TPAT. 2068. 2068.
- <2> SDR7516 Article in serial: Posnansky, M. 1955. The Bronze Age Round Barrow at Swarkestone, part 1, the excavation and finds.
- <3> SDR17806 Aerial Photograph: Pickering, J. 3629/1-6, 9, 10, 16.
- <4> SDR17807 Aerial Photograph: St. Joseph, J.K.. PR32, 53-8; TI, 71, 72, YU75.
- <5> SDR7350 Article in serial: Posnansky, M. 1956. 'The Bronze Age Round Barrow at Swarkeston, Part II', The environmental evidence and some considerations on the Prehistory of South Derbyshire. Vol 76. pp 10-26.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 103.
- <7> SDR17808 Article in serial: Hughes, R. 1961. 'Archaeological sites in the Trent Valley, South Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81, pp149-150.
- <8> SDR17841 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 313008. 313008. pp 882-6.
- <9> SDR18668 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2001. Scheduling Notification: Swarkestone Lows Round Barrow Cemetery. 29971. Cat. No.: 41.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3663 2945 (30m by 29m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SWARKESTONE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2020 12:38PM