Monument record MDR7317 - Gas works (site of), Castle Lane, Melbourne
Type and Period (1)
- GAS WORKS (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
There is a gas works situated at this location on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. The works expand by the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. The works are named as Melbourne Gas & Coke Company on the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century. (1-3) The works are labelled as a 'Gasholder Station' on the 1:10000 OS map of 1982. (4) Looking at Google Maps Street View, most of the buildings at this site appear modern. It is not known if there are any remains of the gas works. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR17860 Map: OS. 1982. OS 1:10000 1982. 1:10000.
- <5> SDR17862 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 922892. 922892. pp. 961-2.
- <6> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 12/05/2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3890 2537 (56m by 72m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 11:01AM