A barrow at Hungry Bentley was opened on 24th November 1864 by Llewellynn Jewitt and J F Lucas. (1)
A collared urn containing burnt human bones (3) (4), a jet pendant (illustrated by Evans) two jet beads, one globular and one barrel-shaped (2) (3) were found. Jewitt also refers to a bronze dagger although Evans does not mention this. A single-barbed arrowhead is mentioned and illustrated by Evans although not referred to by Jewitt. The collared urn is in the British Museum Acc. No. 73 6.2.34. (4) OBN Revision 1909 p12 checked but no information regarding the "AD 1870" published entry for the finds. The bowl barrow is prominently situated on the crest of a broad south facing spur under barley. It has been reduced by continuous ploughing to an overall diameter of 36.0m and survives to a height of circa 1.5m on the north side. There is no obvious trace of surrounding ditch or mutilation to the mound, but crop growth prevented full inspection. Re-surveyed at 1:2500 (5)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1824 3785 (36m by 37m) (Centre)
HUNGRY BENTLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2011 10:20AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.