Monument record MDR7398 - Padley Mill, Nether Padley
Type and Period (1)
- MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building (II)
Grade II listed building renovated as a domestic dwelling. The southern and eastern facades have been retained in their original character, the northern, rear, has an inserted roof to floor window to light the interior. The wheel pit has also been retained. There are intentions to clean the silt from the mill pond, situated to the north of the mill building. The building was inspected at the time of the purchase (1995) and there was found to be no machinery remaining in either the mill or wheel pit. However, elements of the water wheel were salvaged from the base of the wheel pit during the renovation works. These were retained by the owner for possible reconstruction. There are also several ruined ancillary buildings abutting the west facade that are liekly to be eventually incorporated into the main dwelling. The build up of the modern road to the south of the mill has partially obliterated the original access points to the mill basement and wheel pit. (1,2) Photographic record. (4) Now converted into private dwelling. It was still a corn mill at the time of the construction of the adjacent Dore and Totley tunnel. (5)
- <1> SDR17344 Unpublished document: Smith, K. 1999. Pers Comm 1999. 1999.
- <2> SDR17967 Photograph: PPJPB. Photo:PPJPB:SMR:7449.1-10(slides)/503.31a-36a(B and W). Slides and B and W.
- <3> SDR17968 Photograph: PPJPB. Photo:PPJPB:SMR:504.0a-2a(B and W)/504.0a-2a(B and W ). B and W.
- <4> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 504.0A-2A.
- <5> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2506 7887 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2014 1:41PM