Monument record MDR7415 - Milestone on the A625, Totley Moss, Grindleford
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Milestone showing distances to Bakewell and Sheffield, on the B6055, formerly the Gleadless to Hathersage Turnpike Road of 1781. (1, 2) Milestone on a new section of road cut in c. 1819. One side read 'BAKEWELL / 8½', the other 'SHEFFIELD / 8'. In November 2002 it had a visible height of 29 inches, was 13 inches wide and 5½ inches deep. A photograph indicates that the stone had been painted white with black lettering, but little of the lettering is actually visible. (3) A sandstone slab 0.6m high with a painted inscription which is now partly illegible. It has been suggested that the original inscription has been filled with cement, but as the paint is now flaking this would seem to be unlikely as no cement was observed during survey in 1994. (4)
- <1> SDR17994 Photograph: PPJPB. Photo:PPJPB:SMR:507:119. 507:119.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 13.18.
- <3> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/GRI/02.
- <4> SDR19852 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. Yarncliffe, Longshaw Estate (Hathersage, Nether Padley and Froggatt Parishes), Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. p 18, Feature 42.
|Grid reference||SK 268 793 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||GRINDLEFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2015 12:40PM