Situated at the Longshaw Estate near Sheffield. (1) Guidestone approx 1.7m high. Thought to have been moved from its original position. The lettering and date are still visible. (2)
Photographic record. (3) Gritstone signpost south of the fishpond and north of Sheffield Plantation. Lettering in upper-case - dated 1709 (4)
A tall square-cut gritstone pillar standing to head height and inscribed on all four faces:
South-west face: 'TO/CHAS/TERFILD' (To Chesterfield)
South-east face: 'TO/SHAFILD/1709' (To Sheffield 1709)
North-east face: 'TOHA/THAR/SICH/ANDSO/TOCH/APILI/NLEE/FRITH' (To Hathersage and so to Chapel en le Frith)
North-west face: 'TO/TIDSWEL' (To Tideswell)
These inscriptions indicate the stone was erected at a crossroads of tracks, three out of four of which can be identified on the ground. The date 1709 denotes the date the stone was erected. In this year the Derbyshire JPs ordered the erection of stones in line with an Act of Parliament of 1697. (5)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 261 794 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)
HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2015 12:40PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.