Listed Building record MDR745 - St Andrew's Church, Cubley
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Saxon to Edwardian - 1025 AD to 1909 AD)
St. Andrew's Church, Cubley, has considerable Norman remains. The chancel dates from the latter half of the 12th century, with a 14th century east window; the tower is late Perpendicular. (1) In normal use (1966). (2) Church of St. Andrew, Cubley, has 12th century fabric refashioned in the 13th century and later with restoration in 1872 and 1874. Grade B. (3-4) The Church of St Andrew is a grade I listed Parish Church. It dates to the mid 11th, 12th, 13th and late 15th centuries, with 17th century additions and alterations. It was restored 1872-4 by J P St Aubyn, and also in 1909 when a south porch was added. It is built of ashlar, coursed squared and rubble sandstone with stone dressings. It has a plain tile roof, and stone coped gables with moulded kneelers, plus eastern ridge crosses to the nave and chancel. T he nave has bell canted eaves. The church comprises western tower, nave of similar width with southern aisle and porch, and chancel. The three-stage western, late 15th century ashlar tower has a deep plinth with moulded copings and full height stepped angle buttresses to all corners. The west elevation has an elaborately moulded, pointed doorcase. Inside, there is a late 12th century three bay south arcade, with double semi-circular arches on plain columns that have a moulded capital to the east and a simple volute capital to the west. There is a 13th century pointed, chamfered chancel arch on semi-circular responds with moulded capitals carved with crude heads. The tall 15th century tower arch has a double chamfered pointed arch and a hoodmould on two thin attached shafts with ovolo moulding between and moulded capitals. The church has 19th century roofs, pulpit and bench pews. There are several fine monuments within the church; in the chancel is an alabaster tomb chest to Sir Nicholas Montgomery, who died 1494, with the figure of an armoured knight with his feet on a lion to the top, and angels holding shields to the sides. Also, on the south wall of the chancel, is another alabaster tomb chest, set in a moulded four-centred arched niche with crocketed pinnacles to the sides. The effigy has been lost but the sides have finely carved weepers under double ogee arches with crocketed tops. This tomb has been ascribed to Harper and Moorecook of Burton, circa 1500. A similar niche, without a tomb, is placed against the south wall of the south aisle. Also in the south east corner of the chancel is a very worn stone slab carved with the figure of a woman, placed on the floor, probably late 15th century. Fragments of medieval glass survive in most of the chancel windows, except for the east window which has stained glass of 1874. Fragments of painted decoration also survive over the chancel arch and the east arch of the nave arcade. A 12th century circular font stands in the nave aisle (see list description for more details). (5) The bells of St Andrew's are of historical significance. Two of the bells were founded by T Bett of Leicester and date from around 1510. (8)
- <1> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. p 95.
- <2> SDR6398 Personal Observation: F1 JB 28-JUL-66.
- <3> SDR5437 Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1961. Department of Environment, Ashbourne Road, Derby, August, 1961, 15.
- <4> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. pp 160-1.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 81247.
- <6> SDR15145 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2439. 2439.
- <7> SDR8100 Bibliographic reference: Jewitt, H. The Domesday of Derbyshire.
- <8> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1649 3769 (29m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CUBLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2019 3:30PM