Monument record MDR7482 - Cairnfield, linear clearance and ring cairn, Brown Edge, Totley Moor
Type and Period (3)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- LINEAR CLEARANCE CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- RING CAIRN (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
Cairnfield of 24-28 cairns and 2 areas of linear clearance. Cairns range in diameter 1.0-6.5 by 4m. They are located on the edge of the outcrops so therefore must constitute clearance. One had been dug out recently when visited in July 1983, half had been removed. There are substantial differences between the J. Barnatt plan and that published by J. Radley. (1) SK 290 792. A line of at least 30 cairns along the slope. (3) A group of 34 cairns centred at SK 2900 7905 varying in size from 2.0m - 7.0m diameter and 0.3m - 1.0m in height. Surveyed at 1/2500. (4) The area, a War Dept. training ground, has been burnt off and much disturbed but there is evidence of early stone clearance, with some concentration of stone into lines probably indicating field boundaries. Some of the smaller mounds are obviously clearance heaps onto outcrop, and the larger ones show no conclusive characteristics of burials; yet, where presumably similar mounds have been levelled, seven instances of surviving kerb stones (suggesting original construction as burial cairns) were noted. One (at SK 28967898), has been carefully cleared ('excavator' unknown), leaving an excellent set rim. (5) Scheduled. A cairnfield with linear clearance features and a ring cairn. The complex occupies the top of Brown Edge, a ridge in open moorland. There is a compact cairnfield that includes fragments of linear field clearance, and there is a small, sub-circular ring cairn at the south western edge of the complex (SMR 8004). There are approx. 24-28 cairns in the area that is scheduled, ranging from 1m to 6.5m in diameter. Some of the cairns are ovoid in shape suggesting they may have formed part of linear clearance banks. There are also two linear clearance banks of turf and stone. (6)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p41 fig 13.
- <3> SDR13457 Bibliographic reference:
- <4> SDR6375 Personal Observation: F1 JB 17-OCT-66.
- <5> SDR6586 Personal Observation: F2 FRH 12-APR-67.
- <6> SDR18647 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2001. Scheduling Notification: Cairnfield, linear clearance and ring cairn 720m N of Moor Edge Farm. 31290. Cat. No.: 494.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 28924 79067 (217m by 283m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLMESFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2016 4:00PM