Monument record MDR7518 - Baslow Old Bridge, Baslow
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Adjacent to the site of an ancient ford across the River Derwent is a stone bridge, dating to 1609, with three arches and cutwaters. (1) Baslow Old Bridge across the River Derwent was built in 1603 and took the place of a wooden bridge. It is constructed of local stone of two kinds, sandstone and gritstone, the former from the Bar Quarry, the latter from the moors to the north and east of the village. Two inscriptions can be seen carved on stones on the north side at the Bubnell end. One, in large letters and figures, reads E.G. 1603. The 3 is not very clear and might be an 8 or a 9. It is supposed that this is the year in which the bridge was built. Another stone nearby has the following inscription: WT HC 1839 and a star and a square. It is thought that these are the initials of two men who carried out repairs to the bridge in that year. The bridge is only wide enough for vehicles to pass singly over it. (5) The old bridge just north of Baslow Church had evidently been carrying excessive loads before 1500, for in that year an order was made that 'no one shall henceforth lead or carry any millstones over the bridge at Basselowe under pain of 6s 8d to the lord for every pair of millstones so carried'. (6)
- <1> SDR18185 Index: NDAT. NDAT 0293. 0293.
- <2> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p 190.
- <3> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 85.
- <4> SDR18186 Photograph: PPJPB. Photo PPJPB 507:17-19.
- <5> SDR19626 Bibliographic reference: Sheldon, J. 1975. A Short History of Baslow and Bubnell. p 49.
- <6> SDR19950 Bibliographic reference: Dodd, A & Dodd, E. 2000. Peakland Roads & Trackways, 3rd edition. 64.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2510 7236 (31m by 23m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:19AM