Monument record MDR7532 - Guide stoop near the junction of Fox Lane and Rumbling Street, Holmesfield
Type and Period (1)
- DIRECTION STONE (Stuart - 1710 AD to 1710 AD)
- None recorded
This stoop is located near the north side junction of Fox Lane and Rubling Street at Bole Hill opposite Shillito Wood. It is sheltered by a few trees and lies in tufted grass which is often boggy. It is not far from the roadside wall. The gritstone stoop is badly weathered and chipped at one top corner. It is dated 1710 on the north face, although the date is now almost impossible to decipher. Also on the north face is 'Bakewel(l), while the west face has 'Ches / field' and the south face 'Dron / field'. (1) Photographic record. (2, 3) The placenames are inscribed on the guide stoop in lower-case lettering, unusual for Peak District stones. (4)
- <1> SDR18247 Photograph: Photo PPJPB SMR 507:83.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1983: 7.11a-12a.
- <3> SDR17179 Bibliographic reference: Smith, H. 1996. Guide Stoops of Derbyshire. p. 64-65.
- <4> SDR18058 Bibliographic reference: Hey, D. 1980. Packmen, Carriers and Packhorse Roads. p 37.
|Grid reference||SK 293 747 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HOLMESFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 27 2011 3:40PM