Monument record MDR7564 - Baslow toll house (site of), Baslow
Type and Period (1)
(Demolished 1872, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Baslow toll house was demolished in 1872. (1)
It stood on the east bank of the River Derwent and on the south side of the Old Bridge. (2)
The tollhouse at Baslow was demolished over a century ago, but one of the windows has been built into a house in Calver; it is inscribed 'Ye Toll House Baslow, Dismantled 1872'. An early 19th century traveller remarked that the tollhouse was 'awkwardly situated at the foot of the bridge' - at its eastern end, almost opposite the watchman's shelter [HER 1343]. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Sheldon, J. 1975. A Short History of Baslow and Bubnell. illust facing p 49.
Bibliographic reference: Dodd, A & Dodd, E. 2000. Peakland Roads & Trackways, 3rd edition. p 161.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 251 723 (54m by 50m) (Approximate)
BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:20AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.