Monument record MDR7584 - Cairnfield and field system, Birchen Edge North, Baslow and Bubnell
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
18-27 cairns varying in size from 1.5-7.5m x 5m. 2 parallel fragments of linear clearance. (1) Prehistoric cairnfield and linear clearance banks occupying gently sloping ground on open moorland. A compact cairnfield with linear clearance banks demarcating small, cleared field plots. There are 15-20 cairns within the protected area ranging between 1.5 and 7m in diameter - with most being intact. Two coaxial linear banks of turf and stone indicate the complex was divided into field plots. At southern edge of the protected area is a small ring cairn - separate SMR entry. (3)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p49-50, fig 18.
- <3> SDR18651 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2001. Scheduling Notification: Cairnfield, field system and ring cairn 1300m NNW of Newbridge Farm. 31286. Cat. No.: 497.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 28367 73352 (386m by 339m)|
|Civil Parish||BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2015 10:51AM