Site of Chapel, north of Alkmonton Old Hall. Suggested by T&PAT that it is south of the Alkmonton DMV at SK 189 384, rather than east of this site. (1)
'Chapel, site of' and 'Font found 1844' are marked on late 19th century OS maps, the latter being c. 45m to the south-east of the former. (2, 3)
Lord Mountjoy directed by his will, dated July 8 1474, that a chapel should be erected at Alkmanton [sic], dedicated to St Nicholas and that the master of the hospital of St Leonard at Alkmanton, refounded in 1406, should say mass there on the feast of St Nicholas and on other occasions when he thought proper. All that remains of the chapel of St Nicholas is the font which, after being buried in the grassed-over ruins for some three centuries, was dug up in Cockshut Croft during some alterations in Alkamonton Old Hall farm and is now used in the new church of St John that was erected in 1843 (see SMR 16307). (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 195-197.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 192 375 (59m by 52m) (Approximate)
ALKMONTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 8 2011 4:56PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.