Monument record MDR7607 - Cairnfield and field system on Eaglestone Flat, Curbar
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRNFIELD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Small cairnfield with 7-9 cairns, ranging 2.5-6.5m. Several are conjoined, and are around 5-6m in size. Immediately to the north there is some small irregular enclosure of fragmentary banks, lynchets and one cairn. Noted in NDAT SMR as being located in Baslow and Bubnell. (1) Immediately west of the Eagle Stone is an irregular enclosure defined by low banks and breaks of slope. South of this are from eight to ten small cairns in a compact cluster, with diameters ranging from 2.5 to 6.5 metres. Two of these are built together so that one abuts the other. The lack of overlap between enclosure and cairns suggests a functional or chronological difference between the two features. It is unclear if the small enclosure is a field or the boundary of a habitation area. (4) Photographic record. (5) Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (6)
- --- SDR24169 Unpublished document: Waddington, C and J Brightman (ARS Ltd). 2012. Peak District Hillforts: Conservation and Management Audit.
- <1> SDR18299 Index: NDAT. NDAT 0258. 0258.
- <2> SDR15445 Index: F.L. Preston. Transcript Hunter Index 2 (F.L. Preston).
- <3> SDR17250 Article in serial: East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists. 1963. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1963. Volume 6. p1.
- <4> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p 43; p44, Fig. 15.
- <5> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 4511.1-158.
- <6> SDR22275 Unpublished document: Wyatt, S (PDNPA). 2010. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Cairnfield and field system on Eagle stone Flat, 100m SW of Eaglestone.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 261 737 (91m by 174m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CURBAR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 1:21PM