Monument record MDR7619 - Cairn cemetery, Stonelow Farm, Gibbet Moor, Baslow and Bubnell
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN CEMETERY (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
7-8 cairns, ranging from 3-9m in size. 5 have well preserved kerbs. 3 of the 5 are flat topped (1) Scheduled. Interpreted as a cairn cemetery, with two relatively large cairns together with at least six smaller cairns. The two larger cairns measure 10m x 8.5m, and 8.5m x 7.5m in diameter respectively. Both stand approximately 0.4m high. The two large cairns have both been disturbed, especially at their centres, although substantially remaining intact. To the south and south-east stand at least six smaller cairns: 3 are carefully constructed rings of stone around earthen mounds - interpreted as kerbing around a central mound - and 3 are stone cairns. (3) Photographic record. (4-5)
- <1> SDR16523 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Descriptive text on monuments in the Peak District.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p53-5, fig 21.
- <3> SDR18645 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2001. Scheduling Notification: Cairn cemetery on Gibbett Moor, 1100m SW of Stonelow Farm. 31293. Cat. No.: 492.
- <4> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 433.2a-6a.
- <5> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 15804.1-5.
|Grid reference||SK 28381 70644 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 18 2021 12:27PM