Building record MDR7645 - Icehouse, Hassop Park, Hassop
Type and Period (1)
- ICEHOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1827 AD to 1900 AD)
Coursed rubble limestone icehouse with circular domed chamber of brick. Dog-leg plan entrance passage with slab roof. Built 1827-1833. (1,4). Shute hole has stone lid. (3). This icehouse is reported to be in good condition. It is a large structure situated approximately 400m south of the Hall and set into the side bank of a lake facing north-east. The dog-leg passage, including three doors, is of stone construction with a stone slab roof, with the well and dome in brickwork. The 0.7m diameter chute hole is covered by a stone cap with two ring-pull handles. The overall depth is 7.5-8m and the diameter is 4.5m. It is probably contemporary with the house, 1827-1833. (5) The icehouse lies under a mound, with a drystone-walled entrance passage with dogleg, leading to a door to the circular domed chamber of brick. A chute hole is covered by a circular stone lid with two metal ring pulls. It lies adjacent to Hermitage Pond which may well have been used as the source of ice. The date of the ice house is uncertain. It is not marked on maps of 1831 or 1879, but it probably pre-dates the latter map at least. In 1831 the plantation on the south side of Hermitage Pond did not exist and it seems unlikely that an icehouse would have been built in plain view within the park. There is a second, much smaller, icehouse in the park (SMR 7335) to the east of the Hall. It is not known if one replaced the other or whether ice was taken from the Hermitage Pond icehouse to the smaller icehouse for everyday use, the latter being much nearer to the house. (6)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. E163; Perkins, R; 1983.
- <2> SDR18442 Photograph: PPJPB. 1983?. Hassop Park Icehouse. E/163.
- <3> SDR18912 Unpublished document: Perkins, R. mid 1980s. Derbyshire Icehouses.
- <4> SDR18441 Index: Department of the Environment. 1987. DOE Listed Building West Derbyshire 1987 2/154. 2/154.
- <5> SDR18948 Bibliographic reference: Beamon, S P & Roaf, S. 1990. The Ice Houses of Britain.
- <6> SDR19238 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1993. Hassop Estate, Hassop and Rowland, archaeological survey, 1993. Feature 145, pp 24-25.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2214 7196 (6m by 8m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HASSOP, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2015 11:01AM