Monument record MDR7650 - Clapper bridge, Birchill Bank Wood, Hassop
Type and Period (2)
- CLAPPER BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FOOTBRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Limestone clam bridge over Rymas Brook, tributary of River Derwent. (1-3) A small clapper footbridge with two limestone slabs built over Rymas Brook. This is probably associated with a nearby routeway and its presence suggests cart traffic used a ford rather than a bridge. (4)
- <1> SDR17496 Unpublished document: Smith, H. 1997. Pers Comm..
- <2> SDR18458 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1997. Photo 533.10.
- <3> SDR18459 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1997. Photo:PDNPA:SMR:Smith, H:1997:533.11.
- <4> SDR20313 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J and H Taylor (PDNPA). 2000. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Inbye Land: Archaeological Survey 1999-2000. No. 39.8, p 137.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2267 7186 (4m by 3m)|
|Civil Parish||HASSOP, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2015 9:40AM