Monument record MDR7660 - Cup-Marked Stone 80m east of Robin Hood's Picking Rods, Moorside, Chisworth
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 701 BC)
Located on the north west margins of the western gritstone moorlands, the scheduled area includes a gritstone boulder decorated with a total of nine cup-marks, each measuring c.3cm wide and c.2cm deep. The boulder is roughly rectangular, measuring a maximum of 86cm by 64cm, and lies on the line of a spring which follows the 330m contour. The location suggests that it may have been a boundary feature associated with a Bronze Age settlement or field system. Scheduled (1) Photograph collection (2-3) Cup-marked stone some 5m north of the boundary wall, adjacent to the footpath. The stone is now almost flush with the ground. It measures c. 110 x 70 cm, the face is slightly angled and oriented to the NE. There are 9 or 10 cup-marks on the face. (4) This small gritstone slab was first recorded in the early 1990s. It has one irregular face with 10-11 cupmarks of various sizes randomly scattered across it. The original prehistoric context is unknown. (5)
- <1> SDR18511 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1994. Scheduling Notification: Cup-Marked Stone 80m East of Robin Hood's Picking Rods. 23323. Cat. No.: 343.
- <2> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 4104.1-3.
- <3> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 494.19-21.
- <4> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 17.9.1993 & photos.
- <5> SDR19474 Article in serial: Barnatt, J & Robinson, F. 2003. 'Prehistoric rock-art at Ashover School and further new discoveries ...', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 123, pp 1-28. p 23.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0069 9094 (13m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHISWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2013 2:13PM