Monument record MDR7666 - Milepost, Station Road, Hope
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
Cast iron milepost, painted white with black letters and edging, although the surface condition is poor. It was erected on the Sheffield - Sparrowpit Gate road which was turnpiked in 1758. It records the distances - (West Face) 'CASTLETON / 2 MILES / CHAPEL EN LE / FRITH / 8 MILES' and (East Face) 'SHEFFIELD / 14 MILES / HATHERSAGE / 4 MILES' (1). Photographic record. (2-5)
- <1> SDR18517 Index: Pheasey K. 1978. Peak Park Treasures D164. D.164.
- <2> SDR18520 Photograph: Smith, K. 1991. PPJPB SMR.
- <3> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 8136.1-2.
- <4> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 481.21-22.
- <5> SDR18518 Photograph: Davies, J (PPJPB). 1983. Peak District Treasures. B&W.
- <6> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/HOP/01.
|Grid reference||SK 1751 8335 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 16 2015 11:36AM