Monument record MDR7669 - Socketed stone, The Vicarage, Hope
Type and Period (1)
- SOCKETED STONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Feature, probably post medieval in date, beside entrance to Vicarage, noted in Peak Park Terasures as stocks. The feature is comprise of two endstones, 1m (3' 6") high, 0.6m (20") long and 25 cm (9") wide, 3m (9') apart. Both uprights have a diamond shaped socket on their inner face. (1). This feature is unlikely to be stock sockets (which do not penetrate the stones). They may have formed part of a rail. As most of the stone is not dressed they appear to be part of a fence. (2). Photographic record. (3,4).
- <1> SDR18523 Index: Davies, J (PPJPB). 1983. Peak Park Treasures: E183.
- <2> SDR12667 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). 1991. Personal observations regarding monuments in the Peak District, 1991.
- <3> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 8139.1.
- <4> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 481.17.
|Grid reference||SK 17200 83443 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 5 2013 4:13PM