Monument record MDR7685 - Whaley Bridge Wharf, Whaley Bridge canal arm
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Terminus of the Peak Forest Canal. (1) Large basin with covered dock building built on 3 piles allowing barges to enter centrally and wagons from the Cromford and High Peak Railway to enter alongside. Completed in 1832, and extended north c.1916. (2) Whaley Bridge basin, constructed 1797. (3) The southern end of the Peak Forest Canal, which was built c.1800, and from c.1830 it was also the northern terminus of the Cromford and High Peak Railway. (4) Former site of Whaley Bridge Wharf where the Cromford & High Peak Railway met the Peak Forest Canal. The transhipment building [SMR 14967] is the only remaining structure with a clear association with the Cromford & High Peak Railway. However, maps and photographs show some of the present day buildings to be contemporary with the Cromford & High Peak Railway. The canal cottage has a former stable block to the east, which was associated with the Cromford & High Peak Railway. The railway sidings roughly followed the lines of the modern footpaths. There is a private siding leading to a print works (still extant). This siding led from the transhipment building and through what is now Bingswood Avenue. (5)
- <1> SDR18537 Index: NDAT. 2028.
- <2> SDR18540 Index: Lamb, B. Index Record for Industrial Sites, Peak Forest Canal. BL 06.
- <3> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.2, with photos.
- <4> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 30.
- <5> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature no. 385.
- <6> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 519-521.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 01187 81661 (89m by 181m)|
|Civil Parish||WHALEY BRIDGE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 3 2018 3:18PM