Listed Building record MDR7688 - Bank House, Matlock, Matlock Town

Type and Period (3)

  • (Built, Georgian to Victorian - 1740 AD? to 1900 AD? (approximately))
  • (Altered, Victorian to 21st Century - 1881 AD to 2019 AD (between))
  • (Altered, Georgian to Victorian - 1820 AD? to 1870 AD? (approximately))

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Late 18th century building, constructed of ashlar. Two storeys; five sash windows in plain architraves, the central moulded with a slight cornice. Divided by plain pilasters into three bays; panelled door in moulded stone architrave with curved pediment on consoles; quadrant shaped steps with raised plinth on right hand side; moulded stone eaves; former slate roof now tiled. A modern but sympathetic wing has been added. There is a small gabled wing with a Venetian window and later additions at the rear. (1) A building, originally a residential house overlooking the Derwent and Matlock Bridge. It probably dates from the mid 18th century, and was a originally great house called 'Riversdale' serving as a family home. It was designed in a very formal Georgian style and set in extensive grounds. By the 1820s the house was probably occupied by tenants, and at least part of it served as a school for young ladies. By 1849 an extension was added to the north, probably replacing an earlier kitchen wing. The school closed some time before 1876, and for a brief period it was occupied by a corn merchant. In 1876 the house was sold by auction, advertised as a family home. Following the auction it served as a Temperance Hotel. In 1881 the building was again sold, and purchaced by a local bank. It opened as a bank in 1882. Originallythe bank problably only occupied one room. The rest of the building seems to have served as dwellings. The role as a bank gradulally took over the more of the building and by 1900 a strong room had be added. In 1907 the local bank amalgamated with William Deacon's Bank. In turn the bank became William & Glyn's Bank. An impressive entrance was added to the south of the building and the separate colonnade was probably added in the 1920s. In 1970 the Royal Bank of Scotlant took over William & Glyn's Bank and a fflat roofed structure, including a new vault, was added to the north. In 2019 the building ceased to function as a bank. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Clemence, M. 2020. Heritage Statement: Bank House, 8, Snitterton Road, Matlock.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 29718 60145 (56m by 21m)
Civil Parish MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR3796
  • EDR5226

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 30 2021 4:17PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.