Courtyard of stables, now house with attached outbuildings and stable block. Mid 19th century, built by the Harrisons of Snelston Hall, converted 1950 and enlarged in 1975. (1)
In the 14th century there were two halls or manor houses at Snelston, the Upper Hall (see SMR 25909) and the Lower Hall, both owned by branches of the Montgomery family. The Lower Hall appears to have been occupied by the Okeovers from about 1388, possibly as a hunting lodge. It was later occupied by the Brownes, originally as under-tenants of the Okeovers. The Lower Hall was assessed on 11 hearths in 1664 and described by Woolley as 'a good seat and estate'. The house was of two storeys and attics set in a five-gabled façade, decorated with tall brick stacks. Shortly after 1780 it was destroyed by fire and was not replaced. When the Upper Hall was rebuilt in 1827 as the new Snelston Hall, its stable block was constructed on the site of the Lower Hall. After World War II, the Stantons, who had acquired the estate in 1906, adapted the stable court as a dwelling and moved there in 1953. (2)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 3/1543/088.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1991. The Derbyshire Country House. pp 184-186.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 15712 43369 (38m by 44m)
SNELSTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2017 5:13PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.