(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1770 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Glasshouse Farm was part of the estates of the Dixon family who, in the 18th century, operated a glass furnace in the vicinity. The farm grew during the late 18th and 19th centuries. Initially, a barn was constructed. The farmhouse and a single-storey colonnaded range were added in the early 19th century, forming a compact model farm. Further extensions took place in the late 19th century and into the 20th century. It hah been suggested that part of the farm had been used for glass cutting activity associated with the glass furnace. However, detailed recording of the farm buildings in 1997 prior to and during demolition in advance of the redevelopment of the site failed to identify any fixtures, fittings or features of the buildings that might be associated with the working of glass. (1)
Subsequently, a watching brief of the foundation lines being dug for houses found tentative evidence below-ground for a process-link with the Whittington glasshouse. A slab of limestone 28cm square and 5cm thick was found with 'two glass spillages adhering to one face". The two kinds of glass observed were identified as, firstly, container glass typical of the 18th century and, secondly, decorative glass, specifically a lead glass of 18th/19th century type. The composition and density of the glass was found to be most closely comparable with material from Bolsterstone (no samples from known Whittington glass having been analysed and published). Dixon had his original works at Bolsterstone before moving to the Whittington works. The similarity might suggest that there was a process link between the farm and the glassworks. It is not known, however, why the limestone slab would have been brought to the farm site - assuming that the molten glass originated from spillages at the glassworks. (2)
Archive: Belford, P (ARCUS). 1999. Standing Building Recording at Glasshouse Farm, Whittington. Cat No.: 498i & ii.
Archive: P. Wagner (ARCUS). 2000. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Glasshouse Farm, New Whittington. Cat. No.: 463.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 39595 75930 (75m by 78m)
CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 10 2021 12:36PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.