Monument record MDR7808 - Ivonbrook Grange
Type and Period (1)
- GRANGE (Medieval to Tudor - 1200 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
A late grange, recorded as Yuinbroc in 1159-1166 (c.1200), Darley. (1). Ivonbrook Grange originally belonged to Buildwas Abbey in Shropshire before the dissolution of the monasteries. (2,6). There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on maps of Derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (3). Ivonbrook was recorded in the Domesday Book as 'Winbroc'. (4). No remains of the grange buildings have been found, apart from a rectangular enclosure [SMR 8606]. (5).
- <1> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p134.
- <2> SDR7998 Article in serial: Kerry, C. 1897. 'Gleanings from the Assize Rolls for Derbyshire Preserved in the Record Office, London' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 19.
- <3> SDR904 Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25. pp 24-25.
- <4> SDR8068 Bibliographic reference: Jewitt, H. 1871. Domesday of Derbyshire. p 29.
- <5> SDR20124 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1997. Ivonbrook Grange Farm, Ivonbrook Grange, Winster and Brassington, Derbyshire.
- <6> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24184 58564 (116m by 110m)|
|Civil Parish||IVONBROOK GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2015 11:25AM