Section of the portway in Ivonbrook Grange that is no longer used as a highway. This section was by-passed in 1807 by the Haddon and Bentley turnpike. The turnpike followed the earlier road south from the parish boundary, as entries in the turnpike records read 'Along the Highway…'. However at approx. SK24315828 they change to 'New Line of Road'. The old road can to this day [in 1934] be clearly seen and followed down on the west side of Grange Mill, whereas the turnpike passes the mill to the east. A few years ago [ie late 1920s?] some of the paving of the old road was dug up during excavations for the foundations of a new farm building. Two stone artefacts were found during these excavations [see SMR 8615]. (1)
That part of the ancient trackway that passes through the parish of Ivonbrook Grange. The track throughout its length is part green lane, minor road or footpath and part out of use but visible on the ground. The origins of the track are thought to be prehistoric and it was certainly in use during the Saxon/Medieval period. (2)
Article in serial: Cockerton, R W P. 1934. 'The Portway: Ivonbrook Section', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 4, 69-70.
Bibliographic reference: Dodd, A & Dodd, E. 2000. Peakland Roads & Trackways, 3rd edition. pp 13-17, 44-49.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 24309 58220 (176m by 1158m)
IVONBROOK GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 15 2015 2:45PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.