Building record MDR7817 - Grange Mill, Ivonbrook Grange
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Water powered 18th century corn mill at Mill Farm, Grangemill. (1). Formerly a corn mill. Dating from at least as early as the 18th century, it has not been used in living memory. The waterwheel no longer exists. (2). Photographic record. (3). This attractive mid-18th century stone corn mill is still standing near the junction of the B5056 and the Via Gellia (A5012), Cromford to Hartington Road, but it now has no machinery or wheel remaining. It is not known when they were removed. The mill building has framed, arched windows and doors and a tiled roof. The cast iron window frames contain multiple panes of glass, similar to those found in large industrial mills. The wheel was contained in a wheel house on the north-western side of the building but this has collapsed in recent years and has not been repaired. The mill pond, at the rear of the mill, was fed from a spring and has recently been re-excavated to be used as a trout farm and the mill building itself is converted into a house. The miller in 1876 was T Spencer. (4). Grange Mill belonged to the Abbey of Buildwas until the dissolution of the monasteries. There is a possibility that it belonged to Ivonbrook Grange. (5-7). Restored three storey former corn mill, gritstone with gothic windows (elliptical on third floor) and decorative ashlar quoins and slate roof. The nearby mill pond has also been restored in recent years. This is a complex site with the remains of earlier versions of the mill in freestone and the remains of at least one wheel pit. (8)
- <1> SDR18749 Index: NDAT 1345.
- <2> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District.
- <3> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 8617.1-4.
- <4> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. A34, p47.
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire.
- <6> SDR7998 Article in serial: Kerry, C. 1897. 'Gleanings from the Assize Rolls for Derbyshire Preserved in the Record Office, London' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 19.
- <7> SDR904 Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25.
- <8> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24358 57772 (45m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||IVONBROOK GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2015 11:25AM