Monument record MDR7845 - Blackwell Collieries B Winning Pit (site of) and colliery village, Hilcote
Type and Period (7)
- COLLIERY (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1875 AD to 1964 AD)
- COKE OVEN (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1875 AD? to 1964 AD?)
- BRICKWORKS (Victorian - 1875 AD? to 1900 AD)
- WORKERS VILLAGE (Victorian - 1890 AD? to 1900 AD)
- SCHOOL (Victorian to Edwardian - 1880 AD to 1910 AD)
- WORKING MENS INSTITUTE (Victorian to Edwardian - 1880 AD to 1910 AD)
- RAILWAY SIDING (Victorian - 1875 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Colliery complex (B Winning Pit) with 'Coke Ovens & Bye-product Works' depicted on 1921 OS 6" coverage. Linked to Great Central Railway by Blackwell Colliery Branch and to Midland Railway by Blackwell Branch. (1) The OS 25" map of 1900 shows that the complex also included a brickworks, railway sidings, terraced housing, a school and an institute. (2) Blackwell 'B' Winning opened in 1875 and closed in 1964. (3)
- <1> SDR18774 Cartographic materials: OS. 1921. OS 6" 1921 Derbyshire XXXVI N.W.. 6".
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXVI.5, 1900.
- <3> SDR19541 Unpublished document: Challis, K & Brown, J (TPAU). 2002. Archaeological Desktop Assessment - Amber Park, South Normanton, Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 45409 57808 (386m by 714m)|
|Civil Parish||BLACKWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 1 2017 11:17AM